Thursday, January 14, 2010

Let the wild rumpus begin?




People seem to think that now that I am graduated, life should be all candy and pink roses. But the reality of it is slightly different, while some exclaim freedom, relief and new starts, I feel like Max, going where the wild things are.

There are no more scheduled vacations, classes, exams or grades. I’m setting into a forest of unknown; future employers, council tax, 9-6 work, professional development, so much potential. Yet, I am the first to admit, it is a bit like facing up to the monsters, getting to know them, and conquering them if you will.

Max was right to stare his monsters steadily in the eye, if nothing else, then to overcome his own alarm. Small and new does not necessarily mean inferior. However it might just mean you have to work a little harder.

Wild rumpus? Sure, I will admit to some emotional commotion. Going out to be measured and weighted by a whole new set of criteria. Who wouldn’t feel overwhelmed?

Now this might all seem like a campaign of self conviction, but the truth of the matter is advancement and alterations are great gifts. Newness always carries with it the ambivalence of fear and excitement. Where would we be without the occasional fuss and fizzy? Isn’t it just the prize we pay to be going somewhere?

And if I am presented the chance to grow a little bit wiser and a little bit stronger. Who am I to shy away? I say: let the wild rumpus begin!

No comments: