Monday, October 19, 2009

Rather sleepless in Seattle than heatless in London?

Autumn has come to London. All of a sudden sticky grey has been replaced by biting blue. I am trying to convince myself that the fact that the sun is actually making an appearance every second day, makes up for the 7 degree loss in temperature. And I would have been successful should my apartment not have been as cold as the outside.

Resentment is the word. Who ever came up with this ridiculous boiler-system? And where in the world did anyone get the idea that single windows have an isolating effect? As you might have guessed, my boiler doesn’t work, and I wake up every morning with excessive amounts of mist on my window (it is called excessive when you can’t see the colour of the sky). I can’t even begin to tell you the pleasure of getting out of bed and stepping into Siberia…or Antarctica, whichever is colder.

After having spent the entire weekend closed in my room with schoolwork, I have completely exhausted all my ideas of how to heat myself up; candles, tea, double layered clothes, woollen throws, hot showers…and still…cold toes.

I keep trying to tell myself that this is yet another one of life’s ways of making me appreciate the simple luxuries that I have come to take for granted…but a little heating isn’t too much to ask, is it?

1 comment:

Reetta said...

Hi Shani! Sounds a bit chilly indeed! I´m next going to New Zealand again and I will there be reminded vividly how you feel now - I´ll stay at least half a year there and they don´t have central heating nor triple windows eather!

Pushing thorough the final semester, are you? Good luck - and also make the most of it! College times really are some of the best times of life and I hate to see it coming to an end soon. I will graduate in autumn 2010 too. I´m working on my MA thesis now and in December I will leave for the Kiwiland to do my internship there (and some multicultural adventures, too!). I will work as I research assistant in the Department of Maori Studies in the University of Victoria there. Very exciting!!

I´ll try and see if I could visit you in London for a day or two in very early December (maybe 28th Nov?!) as my round the world flights will depart from London. It would be wonderful to meet you!!!! Take care and keep on posting here your thoughts!

xox REETTA